Now, we all know that Cognac has various health benefits (if consumed in moderation that is!) – not least its ability to help you unwind after a stressful day. But do we need to worry about how many calories are in a shot of our favorite eaux-de-vie? Will Cognac make us fat?
Okay, okay – if you’re on a strict diet, then yes, everything that passes your lips has to be accounted for. But in regular life, I don’t think many of us count Cognac as part of our daily food intake. The health reps of the European Union, however, think we should be worrying about it. In fact, the last couple of weeks have seen the industry beginning to lean towards alcoholic drinks needing to label calorie and nutrition levels.
So with that in mind, here’s a list – in calorific order for a regular sized serving – showing how many pesky calories you ingest each time you swallow various different drinks.
- Coffee – A measly 1-2 calories per cup – if you take it black. But start adding in sugar, milk or cream, and you could be looking at up to 344 if you’re not careful. In which cases, coffee would be at number 10 in this list, not number 2
- Orange cordial – even though it’s mainly water, this baby still clocks up around 38 calories each time you drink a glass
- Cognac – a 30ml shot provides approximately 64 calories, of which there are 0g of fat, carbs, or protein (In fact, all spirits, including vodka, whisky and gin have approximately the same calorific value)
- Prosecco – a small glass (105ml) provides 69 calories.
- Milk – a glass (200ml) of semi skimmed provides 92 calories.
- Dr Pepper – this favorite US drink provides 100 calories per cup (8 fl.oz).
- Orange Juice – 1 regular cup of OJ gives 112 calories. It’s also high in carbs.
- White wine – a 150ml glass provides 122 calories.
- Red wine – slightly more fattening, with a 150ml glass providing you with 125 calories.
- Coke – a can of coke (330ml) provides you with 139 calories. But there’s a huge amount of sugar in here as well. Not so great if you’re trying to lose a few pounds.
So there you have it! If you just look at the numbers, and ignore that alcoholic beverages are obviously a potential threat to your health when over-consumed, Cognac is in fact the best alcoholic drink to enjoy if you’re looking to keep down the calories… It’s less fattening than milk or orange juice! Of course we’re not advocating that you enjoy a glass of Cognac for breakfast over your OJ…. Every nutritionist would tell you, it’s all about the right balance.
Sources: beveragedaily.com, fatsecret.com weightlossresources.co.uk calorieking.com