It’s award time again. The renowned International Wine & Spirits Competition (ISWC) held in London has announced the winners for 2017’s Best Cognacs.
The medals are awarded in three categories for Cognac–Bronze, Silver, and Gold–with the added bonus ‘Outstanding’ in each medal range.
It’s exciting to see more and more Cognac brands realizing the importance of entering their creations into such competitions. After all, being judged against your fellow Cognac houses in similar categories must be both nerve-wracking and incredible when your pride and joy is bestowed with an award.
Let’s get on with seeing who’s gained the top honors for 2017. A lot of the winners are available in our online shop–shipped to your door direct from Cognac, France.
Gold ‘Outstanding’ medal winner
- Roullet VSOP Grande Champagne Cognac – also the winner of the Cognac Trophy 2017. We extol the virtues of this incredibly great value for money VSOP. If you’ve not yet discovered the delights of Roullet Cognacs, then this is the place to start. Buy Roullet VSOP here.
Gold medal winners
Cognac Richelieu XO
3. KWV Heritage XO Cognac
Silver ‘Outstanding’ medal winners
5. De Luze XO Fine Champagne Cognac – Complex, spicy, and nutty. In a word – delicious, and one of our favorites.
7. Gautier Extra 1755 Cognac – Rich yet delicate, with a long finish. Definitely deserves to be awarded in the ‘outstanding’ category.
8. J Dupont Art Deco XO Grande Champagne Cognac
9. J Dupont Art Nouveau VSOP Grande Champagne Cognac
11. Martell XO Cognac – It’s the second award this year for this Cognac – and well deserved, we have to say.
12. Thorin VSOP Grande Champagne Cognac – Round, oaky and fruity – enjoy neat or over ice
13. Comte Joseph VSOP Cognac
Silver medal winners
A E Dor:
14. A.E. Dor XO Vieille Fine Champagne Cognac – An absolute favorite the world over with those who know their Cognac, an outstanding XO at an unbeatable price.
15. A.E. Dor Vieille Reserve No 6 Hors d’Age Cognac – A Spicy, top quality Cognac.
16. A.E. Dor VSOP Rare Fine Champagne Cognac – Superb VSOP from this artisan house.
17. Bache Gabrielsen Hors d’Age Grande Champagne Cognac – Contains eaux-de-vie dating back to 1917
18. Bache Gabrielsen XO Fine Champagne Cognac – A multi-award winning Cognac. And rightfully so.
20. Francois Voyer XO Gold Cognac – Another multi-award winner over the years. A great Grande Champagne example of a fabulous VSOP
21. Francois Voyer Age d’Or Grande Champagne Cognac
22. Francois Voyer VSOP Vaudon Cognac
23. Frapin VSOP Cognac – Been winning medals since 2003. It’s a keeper!
25. Gautier VSOP Cognac – Offers outstanding value.
27. Gautier XO Pinar del Rio Exclusive Cigar Blend Cognac – An excellent cigar Cognac.
28. Godet XO Fine Champagne Cognac – Aged for around 35 years.
29. Godet XO Terre Cognac
30. Godet VSOP Selection Speciale – This VSOP has been racking up awards since 1999. It offers exceptional value for money for a Cognac of this quality.
31. Jean Fillioux Cep d’Or XO Selection Cognac – This Cognac really does show why the Grande Champagne terroir is the ‘premier cru’.
32. Jules Gautret VSOP Cognac – The perfect VSOP for those who like a slightly sweeter taste
33. Larsen XO Cognac – Mature and round, a great blend of Grande Champagne and Fins Bois eaux-de-vie.
34. Larsen Viking Ship Fine Champagne Cognac – A great Cognac housed in a ‘Viking Ship’ bottle – comes in different colors and is a real collector’s piece
35. Larsen VS Cognac
36. Louis Royer Extra Cognac – Multi-award winner over the years. A Superb Grande Champagne offering
37. Louis Royer VS Cognac – Young, floral, and vibrant. A versatile VS Cognac
38. Louis Royer VSOP Cognac – A great Cognac to start with if you’re new to the brand of Louis Royer
39. Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac – Needs no introduction. This classic Cognac is as good today as its inception over a century ago
40. Martell VSOP Medallion Cognac – Excellent value for money, exceedingly round and balanced for a VSOP
41. Merlet Brothers Blend Cognac – A delightful VSOP. We particularly enjoy this one over ice
42. Merlet Selection St Sauvant No 1 Cognac
43. Rémy Martin Carte Blanche a Baptiste Loiseau Merpins Cellar Selection Cognac – A limited edition (7,000 bottles only), and well worth the price
44. Rémy Martin Club Cognac – A Napoleon quality, Petite Champagne classic
45. Rémy Martin XO Cognac – A wonderful flowery bouquet with an excellent length of finish
46. Tiffon VS Cognac – A feisty, yet delightful young Cognac
47. Tiffon VSOP Cognac – Floral, with a slightly spicy aftertaste
48. Thorin XO Grande Champagne Cognac – Delightfully delicate. Hints of orange on the palate
49. Bimmerle KG Vieux Garcon VS Cognac
50. Chevalier VS Cognac
Check out these and many other Cognacs for sale in our online shop–shipped to your door direct from Cognac, France.