Here are the Top 10 Cognac No-Nos: A Cognac drinker’s style guide. You mix an old XO Cognac »”>XO Cognac with Coke? You show off your Remy Martin Louis XIII at the front door? Or you claim that the martell xo »”>Martell XO is better than the Ile de Ré VS?
That’s a knockout. If you are looking for help, read Cognac Expert’s list.
- Don’t buy Cognac because it’s expensive or a huge brand. Try to develope a sense for smaller producers.
- Don’t put your $400 bottle where guests can see it. Hide it, then get it out at the right moment.
- Don’t mix old Cognac with anything else than perhaps a splash of water. Old means: Anything superior than VSOP.
- Don’t buy Cognac at strange places in Eastern Europe, Russia or Asia. If the bottle looks odd … it might be a fake.
- Don’t call other brandy from other regions ‘Cognac’
- Do not compare Cognacs that have different ages. Comparing a VS with a XO is like Fiat and Ferrari.
- Never write Hennessy with an “e” before the y.
- Please don’t think Cognac is just a drink. It’s an experience; it’s agricultural, it’s French – and very complex to produce.
- Don’t drink Cognac quickly. Take your time.
- Do not drink too much Cognac and be responsibly.