Now, as we at Cognac Expert know (and no doubt a large proportion of our readers), the colour of a cognac tells us an awful lot about the age of our tipple. But those wonderful hues have been ‘stolen’ by no end of products that like to describe their looks as a cognac color;
So we thought it might be a bit of fun to take a look at the different items there are to purchase that purport to be of a cognac colour – and give our tongue in cheek opinion as to what make and quality of cognac that they might actually be, if they really were a cognac…
This is what we came up with:
1. Cognac colour shoes and boots: Probably the most common product that can easily be found in a cognac colour. And to be tough enough to be able to cope with the stresses of walking around all day (not to mention having to suffer the indignity of having feet inside them), then cognac coloured boots and shoes would definitely have to be a VSOP – and probably one produced by one of the big boys – such as Courvoisier.
2. Cognac colour car interior: Now that’s an interesting one – and a colour scheme often used by high end car manufacturers such as Bentley or Porsche. So naturally this would need to be a high end cognac, at least an XO. We reckon this would be a Martell Cordon Bleu or similar.
3. Cognac colour belts: Mmm, well some belts are nice, others are funky, and yet others are decorative. We reckon a cognac coloured belt would be on the young side, so a VS. And perhaps one of the more innovative brands – something like a Bisquit VS Classique.
4. Cognac color handbags: Definitely a classy madam, this one. So we’re going to go for the XO quality, Delamain Très Vénérable de Grande Champagne Cognac, to be exact. Well, you wouldn’t expect a lady to drink anything less now, would you?
5. Cognac colour kitchen cabinets: A tough cookie this one – needing to be soft enough to be pleasing on the eye yet rugged enough to cope with years of family use. So a VSOP, we think – along the lines of Baron Otard Cognac’s blend of Grande and Petite Champagne.
Cognac coloured ties: Can be loud or sober, funky or plain – and what better a cognac to represent this than Bacardi’s trendy VSOP cognac – D’Usse.