After the launch of Remy Martin’s Centaure Cognac earlier this month, an integrated advertising campaign has begun in earnest, specifically targeting the Chinese business consumer.

Using the power of viral internet advertising, press releases and television, the Centaure campaign has been created by the advertising company Lowe China.  The 60 second TV advert features the Hong Kong film celebrity, Anthony Huang Qiusheng, who has also recently finished filming a travelogue with Remy Martin chief winemaker, Pierette Trichet, in Cognac.

Remy Centaure China

CEO and chairman of Lowe China, Kitty Lun, said that there advertising strategy came about after in-depth research into cognac drinking habits in China.  Here, business people drink cognac for entertainment, and traditionally older business men drink cognac to show off their social status.  It is primarily drunk with business associates and therefore many people wear a ‘fake mask,’ perhaps hiding their true emotions.

However, it is human nature for these business acquaintances to develop into real friendships, and that is what the advertising campaign has focused on.  Qiusheng was specifically chosen to star in the advert because he is known for being sincere and truthful, albeit outspoken with a no-nonsense personality.

They believed that Qiusheng’s personality was an ideal fit with the character of the cognac Centaure – which is ‘Sincerity Without Accessories.’

Of course, Lun was quick to point out that Centaure is also directed at the younger generation of Chinese business people who are looking for a smooth cognac to sip whilst at their social clubs or karaoke bars.

Sources: www.campaignasia.com

Get articles like these and more:
Subscribe to our mailing list

Centaure Cognac – Remy Martin Aim At Chinese Business Leaders

Get our Cognac Guide in form of an e-Book for free. Weekly updates about our stories, new products and deals.

Avatar
Author

Jacki has been with Cognac Expert from virtually the beginning. She's the senior editor of the blog, and has spent much of her life living in rural France. Today she's based back in the UK, where she splits her working life between writing for Cognac Expert and working as a Paramedic at a large regional hospital.

6 Comments

  1. Avatar
    Ole Cigar

    “It is primarily drunk with business associates and therefore many people wear a ‘fake mask,’ perhaps hiding their true emotions.”

    Most important in the Asian cognac market: When they mix cognac and coke (….), it is important for the new-rich generation that it is XO cognac you mix with the coke!

    Remy Martin executives: Even though you add a lot of sugar into your cognacs, why don’t reserve the matured cognacs for people who care about cognac?
    Sorry. Forgot. As long as you sell your products you don’t care how it is consumed.

  2. Avatar

    Ole Cigar, what is the point of having a fine product and not selling? keep it in your cellar and wait for another century to filled up the unwanted rich chinese market who drink their cognac with coke? put yourself in the remy martin’s shoes…sell a bottle of louis xll for someone who apprecieate it and sip 30-60ml a night and a bottle last them a year or sell a dozen of louis xll in a week for those who drink it with coke? you should be happy where this rich chinese market is throwing money into remy’s bank account to financially support the brand. 60% of the Remy Product is consume in China! where the other 40% is around in the world!
    End of the day, CASH is still the number 1 concern to ANY BRAND or ANY PRODUCT in the world!
    you’re not going to deny and ignore the 1.3bn population country will you?

  3. Avatar
    Ole Cigar

    “End of the day, CASH is still the number 1 concern to ANY BRAND or ANY PRODUCT in the world!
    you’re not going to deny and ignore the 1.3bn population country will you?”

    OH YES I CAN!!!
    After your 9/11 and our Oslo bomb:
    There are some values rated above money, profits and things you can not bring with you to heaven (or hell) don’t you think?
    Even if the Arabs and Chinese have money, I do not have to accept their “democracy” and how they treat their own people.
    End of the day, may be we sleep better if the food on the table was financed by “clean” money.

    Some values and principles in life may even make a cognac taste better, don’t you think?

  4. Pingback: China On Track To Be World’s Biggest Cognac Consumer | Harous.com

Write A Comment