Ready for battle: 100 years old Camus Very Old Napoleon Cognac comes in a cannon

This time two cannons hit Cognac Expert. Camus Napoleon Very Old Cognac… getting ready to be fired. But what is the value of those bottles? One of our readers received the bottles from his father – so it’s a family heritage. It’s a very old Cognac – but is it actually 100 years old? Not quite. “Napoleon” is an age qualification, indicating that some of the Cognac used in this blend is at least 6 years old.

Cognac Camus cannon stand

This is what our dear reader writes us:

I am hoping that you might help me with history and possible value of a pair of Cognac bottles I received from my father. These were given to him as a gift many years ago so I don’t know much about them.
The labels read “Camus Very Old Napoleon Cognac“, “La Grande Marque”, etc.
Really interesting, perhaps someone can find evaluating the value of this pair of bottles?!

Camus Front label Napoleon

There are serial numbers #239895 and #221288 on the back. Also a raised wax imprint “N” below the label on front. The seals are intact and volume of cognac in bottles appears consistent in each. Both bottles are in cannon display stands.

Cognac Camus backside label

A bit of the gold leaf label has worn off.
It says on the label: Empereur des Francais, Le Cognac Napoleon est, a juste raison, considéré comme la qualité la plus haute dans la hiérarchie des Grand Cognacs dont la France a le privilège mondial. Fidèle a sa Tradition, Vieille De Plus de 100 Ans, le véritable Cognac Camus Napoleon est l’essence meme de la perfection.

Cognac Plaque Napoleon Camus

Cette previeuse et rare bouteille a été identifiée dans nos réserves sous No 221288. Certifié a Cognac, France…. and that basically means, that already the great emperor Napoleon considered this Cognac as one of the best, that this Cognac is more than a hundred years old, and that is has been registered under the mentioned number.

The sender doesn’t really know if he should try to put them on auction like eBay or just open them and drink it.

1. Guilhem June 10, 2010 at 8:08 pm

“… and that basically means, that already the great emperor Napoleon considered this Cognac as one of the best, that this Cognac is more than a hundred years old”

Er…, sorry, but not exactly. Maybe Napoléon considered this brand as one of the best (although there doesn’t seem to be any proof of that…) but actually “Napoleon” is just a vintage label meaning that, at the time of assembly, all spirits contained in this Cognac were at least six years old… I will try and obtain more info from Camus with the serial number, anyway.

2. jb June 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm

About cognac “Napoléon”, I would like to share something with you: some houses try to link “Napoléon” denomination with the French emperor, Napoléon 1st.

But, there is probably nothing to do with Napoléon I, but with Napoléon III that govern France until 1870: during the beginning of 1900’s, Charente vineyard was not totally restored from the phylloxera crisis, but huge stocks remain of the period “before” the crisis. People used to named pre-phylloxera cognacs (older and better cognacs) as “Napoléon”, cognacs from Napoléon III period.

3. Stefan July 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm

This is a 15-20 years old cognac bottled in the 1980’s

4. Nicole July 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I also have one of these bottles… number 89724. I once contacted Camus directly, and had one one of their people respond to me. He couldn’t tell me how hold the bottle was, but he did let me know that at that time (about 6 years ago) it would have sold for 250 euros.

5. julie stringer December 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm

i also have abottle(empty) in a cannon stand. VSOP fine champagne
    COURVOISIER
    the brandy of napoleon
    Cognac
    the bottom of the cannon has a wooden disc with a
    wooden knob holding the bottle in, also a plaque on a chain with
    COURVOISIER
    The Brandy of Napoleon
    COGNAC
    anyone know anything about it please

6. roman April 9, 2012 at 12:01 am

if you have bottle(s) you would like to sell please let us know

7. steve July 11, 2012 at 12:05 am

I also have in a cannon that has a old rope style handle do you have any info on these

8. Mike January 6, 2013 at 5:22 am

How much you want to sale for. Please tell me your asking price.

9. david January 9, 2013 at 9:15 am

I have a bottle of this cognac nbr 61091 which was purchased in the early 60’s. Unfortunately the cannon was lost but all other items including medallion on chain are intact! Can anyone give me an idea of its value.

Camus 100 year old napoleon cognac no 61091

10. Mike January 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi David you want to sale I’m interest
    How much you offer let me know, please put your offer up here

11. Will January 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm

One of these bottles was just passed down to me. My number is: 99346. Does anyone know how many of these were made? If you would like to see pictures, please email me: woowee0408@aol.com

12. Mike January 16, 2013 at 5:10 am

Would like to buy your bottle cognac, Mike (comment by admin: Mike please first place a bid, offer before publishing your email)

13. Jan February 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I have a bottle of Camus Napoleon Cognac. Date on back is 1769- 1821. Number on back is 064785B signed by Camus d Op I think. It also has a trademark like a cross. Can anybody give me a ballpark price on this? Unfortunately even tho unsealed it is only about 1/4 full. Thanks

14. jan February 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Oops. Serial number 064765B. Thanks Jan

15. Jan February 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

One more time on the serial no. 064765 B. Thanks. Jan

16. Will April 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Mike, if you are still interested in purchasing my Napoleon Cognac, let me know. Thanks.

17. Will May 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

My bottle recently was purchased by a dealer for $650.00. I believe I could have gotten more if I would have held on to it a little longer.

18. Judy April 20, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Can anyone give me any dealer names and location. Or any buyers. I have one of these I would like to sell. Thank you
    Md location

19. Joe Cox July 21, 2014 at 1:52 am

I have 3 of these I wish to sell. I’m new to this type of sale and don’t know how to ship. I’m in the US, Alabama.

20. Mary July 23, 2014 at 1:40 am

I have one of these I would like to sell. Any buyers or dealers in the Maryland, Delaware, Pa, or Va. areas. Please let me know.

21. arnold October 8, 2014 at 4:28 am

i have a bottle now no: is 58240
    i wonder how much is worth now.

22. arnold October 8, 2014 at 4:30 am

i have a bottle now, given to me by my boss,
    wonder how much is worth now, the s/no: is 58240
    anyone wants to make a offer please react in this post

23. Michael October 11, 2014 at 6:59 pm

If it is same bottle pictured above with or without the cannon carriage it is not a highly collectible bottle. 1980-1990. Value under $100

24. Bill August 8, 2015 at 6:57 pm

What is an unopened bottle of courvoisier cognac canon decanter from 1889 worth

25. mariami August 20, 2015 at 2:00 pm

I have camus napoleon 1980 year my prise is 400 usd

26. jacques.vandersande December 27, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I have a cognac napoleon ” CAMUS”
    precieuse et rare bouteille under number 059967
    and want to sell. Is there somebody interested in
    and what is your price
    Jack

27. Phil hill March 19, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I got one here also empty bottle all compleat. Would like to sale it.

28. Wolle Stepan March 2, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Can somebody tell me something about the serial number 446888. How old is this one? How can I get an Information about the price?

29. Indika Jayasinghe April 6, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I have bottle no.095791CH Camus Napoleon cognac. Can I drink it?

30. Margaret Carpenter May 10, 2017 at 11:26 pm

I have 2 bottles of Camus Napoleon Cognac (numbers 128989 B and 126050 B)

My husband purchased them in the late 1960’s while stationed in Vietnam. The seals are intact as are the cannon bottle holders. We never got around to drinking it and now that he has died I have no desire to open the bottles.

I am interested in selling both. Please respond to this message with what you are willing to pay.

Margee Carpenter