Early Rémy Martin Cognac Bottle

Here comes an early Rémy Martin Cognac Bottle that a reader from Delaware, USA sent us. According to him it’s a handblown decanter that has been crafted before 1874, meaning a bottle of the Pre-Phylloxera era that started one year later in 1875. According to a comment a thoughtful reader made, we can’t be sure of the exact age.

The submitter writes “Found on a random table in resale shop amid unrelated items. My first thoughts were it was a fake or replica due to it’s irregularity. I now know it to be a pre 1874 hand blown, hand crafted, original.”

(If you also have a Cognac bottle you would like to sell, or you need information about age or value – send us photos and information, just submit: Use this form – but please be aware: if you don’t follow the steps precisely, we will not publish your bottle.)

Upright

The label reads: No labels. Acid etched bottom: REMY MARTIN COGNAC. FRANCE.
Opposing bottom edge has: DEPOSE

Tax labels, revenue, signs or similar: No. BLEMIS: one, lowest fin neatly broken off one side only.

Pre 1874 Rémy Martin Cognac BottleBottom

How has the bottle been stored:

• In a dry place
  • At room temperature
  • Up-right standing

Some more information about the bottle:

• There are some sediments and crusting

Pre 1874 Rémy Martin Cognac BottleOne missing lowest fin

Please make your offers, ask questions or inform us about this bottle – give your opinion. Buyers please note: We do not accept simply pasting your email address into the comments – please make an offer first; then later on we will connect buyer and seller. Thank you.

Buyers please note: We do not accept simply pasting email addresses into the comments – please make an offer first; then later on we will connect buyer and seller. Thank you.

For both bottle owners and potential buyers: If you want to get in touch with respective owners or buyers please send a mail to info@cognac-expert.com expressing this wish.

Sellers please note: ​ ​To be put in contact with potential buyers, we ask for the service to be supported by paying a nominal fee of 5% of the final price agreed , ​min. $10, to a max. of $200. These amounts help us improve the blog and make the website better for bottle owners, collectors and everyone else who uses it. And naturally, in the event that you don’t end up completing the sale of your bottle, this amount will be refunded.

1. Michael April 18, 2014 at 5:25 pm

How do you know this bottle is pre-1875? I believe the first 10 years (1874-1884) the Louis XIII bottles had no markings at all. Around 1885 they added the acid etched brand name under the bottles.
    I have an identical bottle and would be interested in putting an exact age on it.

2. (Cognac-Expert.com) April 21, 2014 at 11:22 am

Hi Michael, thanks for this remark. I took this date as a quotation from the submitter, because I assumed it was already confirmed. On the other hand I know that such a classification is both crucial and difficult to make, so I rephrased heading and introduction. All the best and happy Easter

3. Nom April 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I surmized the date from previous discussions on this site. I am a novice at this, incorrectly using the phrase ” I now know”. Im grateful for all the info I am receiving, but unfortunatly cannot pinpoint a date to this old beauty.

4. Nom April 29, 2014 at 3:43 am

How can I locate the correct stopper for my old Louis XIII bottle? I believe it is an early acid etched model, probably from 1880s.

5. Michael April 29, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hi Nom,
    The exact stopper for your bottle will be very difficult to find. I have the one for mine and it is very different from the regular Louis XIII stopper. Very thin wall glass, very light compared to the 1930-1980 crystal stoppers. Also much more irregular. There is an opening at the bottom to the inside which the newer stoppers don’t have.
    You could buy a regular Louis XIII crystal stopper from 1970 (You can get them for about $30 on eBay) and hand grind it to fit if you are just looking for a stopper to look OK and close the bottle.

6. Nom April 29, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Thx ever so much for your expert opinion. I would begrsteful to see a phto of your topper if availlable. I have seen 2 different crystal versions; one, the fleur de lis, and one more bulbous.

7. Michael April 29, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Here is a link to my Louis XIII webpage:
    My bottle is second from the top. There is also a reasonably good picture of the stopper.

8. Nom June 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I will compliment you on the chart @ your link site. It is vrty well done, well organized snd frankly, fun. I see the WWII suspension and am curious to know…did they actually contiue production from 1915-1918?

9. nom June 20, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I now have a 1930s topper hand engraved #46 to pair w my 1937-39 bottle hand engraved #23. While its interestingly divisible by 2, i would prefer a match.

Does anyone have either for a mutual benefit trade?

Also, Michael, thanks for using my oldest bottle on your chart. It is fascinating to dee BOTH bottles in the early 1900s have a slightly different font on the acid etching.

10. nom June 20, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I am in need of a topper for my 1980s bottle #f2488 hand engraved, w old style gold collar.

11. nom June 20, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I am intetested in finging a green box for my #23.

12. Michael June 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Nom:
    Very difficult to find old green boxes without a full bottle in them. Green boxes were used 1947-1958 not in the 1930s. I think in the 1930s all bottles were sold in plain cardboard boxes. Per my latest research, I believe that if a bottle has the name “BACCARAT” engraved under it without the Logo it is from the late 1940s.

Also quasi impossible to find the original stopper that went with your bottle. I have few mismatched stoppers myself but no number 23. I have number 26 and 42 but they match their bottles. Please note that each year had its own run of numbers so finding a stopper #23 doesn’t mean it would fit your bottle, it would just have the same number…

13. Nom August 4, 2014 at 2:29 am

Do you know anything about the history of thr 50ml minature bottles?
    Also Michael, I did clean my cr.1900 bottle as you recommended. It looks gr8.
    I can send you new pics if you want for the chart.

Interestingly, I have 3 bottles: 1900, 1937-39, & 1980. Each about 40 yrs apart. I look forward to 2020 when I plan to buy a full one!

14. Michael August 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Would love to get a few more pictures.
    The chart has been updated recently with more older bottles. A friend gave me an old glass bottle from pre-1900 era with 33 fins! (17 + 16) which is now also pictured.
    It is made very fast and coarse and irregular. There are good photos of the stopper which is extremely coarse.
    The Baccarat miniatures do follow the same marking scheme as the full size bottles I do not think there were miniatures prior to the Baccarat era. However I do not have more information than that. I have never owned a miniature decanter.

15. Andre May 7, 2018 at 12:43 am

Where can I find how do my bottle of XO is? My grand father gave me a bottle and said it was from the late 70’s early 80’s.

16. Katja (Cognac-Expert.com) June 18, 2018 at 6:56 am

Hey Andre!
    If you like to sell your Cognac, please have a look at our auction section. The process would include an estimation of your bottle´s value by our experts. For further questions, please have a look at our auction FAQ.

Thank you!