London based Diageo is the ‘Darth Vader’ of the drinks industry: powerful, big and thirsty. It’s the biggest wine, beer and spirits company in the world.
The company owns beer brands, Scotch whisky, Vodka, Gin, Rum, Bourbon, Irish whiskey, Schnapps, Wines, mixdrinks and Liquer – but no cognac (see full brand list at the bottom of the page).
The profits and results of this mega-corporation are in very good shape but something is missing: a good Cognac brand. And if possible.. some Champagne to fill up the product line.
Diageo wants to take over Moet-Hennessy
Diageo already owns 34% of Moet-Hennessy; the rest belongs to French luxury company LVMH. The management of the drinks company confirmed now their interest to buy more shares of Moet-Hennessy, in order to own it entirely.
If LVMH sells, Diageo would have to pay more than $ 15 billion for the remaining 66% of the company. But wait – there is no deal in place yet.
As Diageo already has those big other spirit brands, they just need a big Cognac brand – and would then directly shop the biggest Cognac seller in the world, Hennessy. Moet & Chandon would be sort of ‘in the package’. Such a deal could be a smart strategic move and would put Diageo in a even stronger position.
- Beer: Guinness, Tusker, Smithwick’s, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Kilkenny, Kaliber (non alcoholic)
- Scotch whisky: Johnnie Walker, Buchanan’s, Cardhu, Justerini & Brooks (J&B), Bell’s, Black & White, Caol Ila, Vat 69, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glen Ord, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Singleton, Haig, Royal Lochnagar, Glen Elgin, Knockando
- Baijiu: Shui Jing Fang
- Vodka: Smirnoff (Smirnov in Russia), Cîroc, Silent Sam, Popov, Ketel One
- Gin: Gordon’s, Tanqueray, Gilbey’s, Booth’s
- Rum: Captain Morgan, Bundaberg, Pampero, Myers’
- Bourbon: Bulleit
- Canadian whisky: Crown Royal, Seagram’s, Black Velvet
- Irish whiskey: Bushmills
- Tennessee whiskey: George Dickel
- Schnapps: Black Haus, Goldschläger, Rumple Minze
- Mixed drinks: Archers, Pimm’s, TGI Friday’s
- Liqueur: Baileys, Sheridans, Yukon Jack, Godiva’s
- Wines: Sterling Vineyards, Piat d’Or, Barton & Guestier, Beaulieu Vineyard, Blossom Hill, Canoe Ridge Vineyard, Acacia, Moon Mountain, Dynamite, Chalone, Provenance Vineyards, Hewitt Vineyard, and Rosenblum.
Source: www.dailymail.co.uk, wikipedia.org