10 Reasons why Cognac is better than Whiskey
When you ask, is Cognac better than Whisky, it’s always going to be a question that elicits an emotional response. But we get asked it so many times that we’d be doing it a disservice by not adressing the question. In our opinion, we think that Cognac is the more versatile drink, as it can be enjoyed neat, as a long drink, or in your favorite cocktail. And yes, we hear the Whisky lovers cry, ‘but so can the love of our life!’
But come on guys, it’s pretty obvious that being as dedicated to eaux-de-vie as we are, we’re going to always side with Cognac. And to prove a point, here’s our list of 10 reasons why Cognac is better than Whisky (or Whiskey).
“Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.”
– Samuel Johnson
So, without any further ado, here are 10 reasons why Cognac is by far the superior tipple to Whisky:
- Cognac is the most complex spirit in the world to make. It takes the longest time to produce – centuries, in some cases. Therefore it’s also the most expensive spirit to consume.
- Cognac is made of grapes, Whisky is made from grains. Therefore Cognac can develop a variety of fruitful aromas, which Whisky cannot. Read our Cognac Whisky comparison article for more insight into this.
- Cognac is French. The French know how to make good food. They also know how to make great wine – everyone knows that! So anything that derives from wine AND originates from France – as Cognac does – must be the best.
- Cognac-making underlies extremely strict regulations. For example, Cognac can only be produced in the region of Cognac in France (which is near Bordeaux), while Whisky can be produced anywhere in the world. Another rule for Cognac is that it must be distilled twice in order to qualify as a real Cognac.
- Rap. Cognac has Jay-Z, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, and many other rappers “bigging up” the drink – in their music and their personal life. Whisky does not have such cool ambassadors.
- Cognac is fashionable, a color in fashion is actually named after it: “Have you seen those beautiful cognac-colored boots of the fall collection?”
- Cognac is the oldest and most traditional cocktail ingredient: Long before Whisky, Brandy was used in cocktails and long drinks.
- Cognac gives you no headache. It is very rare to get a headache after drinking Cognac.
- Cognac has much better story telling: For example, the Great French Emperor, Napoléon used to order barrels of fine Cognac to be delivered to the island of St Helena.
- Cognac is a region, a town, AND a spirit. That is, indeed, very hard to beat.
To wrap this up, we found two graphs we’d like to share (both via Google).
Mentions in books from 1800 until today: “Whiskey”, “Whisky”, and “Cognac”
And here we have Google searches worldwide.Images: D’Usse, Bacardi, Chateau de Cognac, www.lastminutethrowon.com