Despite a slowdown in the Chinese economy, sales of cognac worldwide remain robust. The latest figures released by the BNIC for September show a generally upward trend, with just a few exceptions namely to the UK and Germany).
Sales for the year to September in hectolitres of pure alcohol are as follows:
– NAFTA – 142,295 – up 2 per cent and equal to 50.9 million bottles
– Far East – 175,639 – up 10.9 per cent and equal to 62.7 million bottles
– Europe – 132,577 – up 0.4 per cent and equal to 47.4 million bottles
– Other countries – 22,134 – up 19.4 per cent and equal to 7.9 million bottles
And when you look at how the distribution of quality stands, the figures still show that the higher quality cognacs are still the most desirable:
- VS – 204,688 – up 2.9 per cent and equal to 73.1 million bottles
- VSOP – 197,690 – up 7.1 per cent and equal to 70.6 million bottles
- XO and higher – 70,466 – up 8 per cent and equal to 25.2 million bottles
Bisquit – a rising star?
Bisquit Cognac has enjoyed a comeback the envy of many, with their VS range selling at around 22 – 25 euros per bottle, VSOP at between 32 – 25 euros and the Bisquit XO Cognac coming it at around 100 euros. Using the French supermarket chains of Leclerc, Carrefour and others, the brand is now commonplace on the supermarket shelves.
And with plenty of press coverage, along with promises of a box set including a snifter glass to be revealed in the future, the brand of Bisquit has indeed made a remarkable recovery, and not only in the French market.
Back in 2009, Pernod Ricard acquired the house of Bisquit Cognac. At that point, sales in France, and elsewhere, were – how shall we put it – pretty dire. Bisquit was sold to the South African group Distell in 2009.
Drawing on the house’s most successful period of the 1970s and 80s, when Bisquit was a brand leader, the house was totally revamped. Modernisation and harmonisation was achieved through a complete packaging change and targeted marketing campaigns.
Learn more about Bisquit and their products.
Sources: www.rayon-boissons.com, BNIC