This 2011 San Francisco World Spirits Competition happened on March 18th, 19th, and 20th at the Hotel Nikko in downtown San Francisco. The results are about to land, to be precise: Tomorrow. And of course we’ll give you the detailed list of awarded cognacs.
SFW 2011 says “Best Cognac” is Landy Cognac XO
It’s a huge competition, this time with 1,106 spirits. That’s a huge number.
So there were over a thousand bottles, submitted from over 60 countries.You’ll get the results tomorrow.
Here are some first facts:
- 33 prominent spirits experts judge, including Tony Abou-Ganim
- presented by the Tasting Panel Magazine
- 240 Vodka and 58 Gins submissions
- “Best in Show – Unaged White Spirit” (and “Best Gin”) went to Sloane’s Gin from the Netherlands ($40)
- “Best in Show – Aged White Spirit” (and “Best Mescal”) is the Sinai Reposado Mescal from Oaxaca, Mexico ($39)
- “Best in Show – Whiskey” (besides “Best Rye”) is the Thomas H. Handy’s Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey ($70)
- Cognac Ferrand Landy Cognac XO (“Best Cognac”)received an overall “Best in Show – Brandy” award ($109)
- “Best in Show Liqueur / Other Spirit” went to Mozart Distillerie GmbH for the Mozart Dry Chocolate Spirit, ($42), from Salzburg, Austria.
The panel also judged on Best Armagnac, Best Pisco, Best Calvados, Best Bourbon, Best Single Malt Whisky, Best Extra-Aged Anejo Tequila etc. – but let’s have a look at this tomorrow. In detail.